Have you Seen my Coconut Oil? Posted on 04 Jun 11:03 , 0 comments
The Coconut Oil Craze
We have seen coconut oil move from the specialty aisle of the grocery store to the top shelf alongside other oils like olive, vegetable and canola. But why? What has caused the coconut oil craze?
Coconut oil has been and is currently being used for more than just cooking. There has been a pattern in which many people have found a number of uses and benefits for this magical substance. To start, coconut oil is naturally anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory while some claim it can even help kill off certain viruses and infections. We have found a number of other ways you can benefit from using coconut oil.
Helpful Uses for Coconut Oil
Moisturizing Hair and Scalp Mask
Applying a coconut mask to your hair will in the preventing dandruff by moisturizing your scalp while also leaving hair silky and soft.
- Begin with dry hair.
- Rub ½ tablespoon in between the palms of your hands until liquefied (adjust amount of oil if your hair is extra thick or long).
- Apply coconut oil to hair, from root to tip (Concentrating on the ends).
- Thoroughly comb through hair and twist into a bun.
- Wrap a hot towel over your hair and leave to rest for 30-40 minutes.
- Remove wrap and shampoo as normal.
Follow this procedure once a week.
*Use a very small amount of oil to tame flyaways and keep ends moisturized in between hair cuts.*
The coconut oil will moisturize your cuticles and nail beds, improving the appearance and feel of your hands.
- Apply a small amount of coconut oil directly to nails beds.
- Massage oil into the tip of every finger, concentrating on the cuticles.
- Allow a few minutes for the oil to absorb into your skin.
- Wash hands as normal.
Not only will the coconut oil safely remove make-up but will leave your face moisturized too!
- Apply a small amount of coconut oil to your entire face.
- Massage coconut oil in, focusing on tough to remove make-up (such as waterproof mascara).
- Let it rest for at least a minute – wipe off with a warm, damp cloth.
Traditional shaving cream is a mix of potentially harmful chemicals. Use coconut oil in its place to naturally moisturize skin while you shave.
- Rub a small amount of oil in between your hands to warm.
- Apply to the area you plan on shaving.
*Blend coconut oil with your favorite essential oils to customize your new shaving cream. You will gain benefits from both the coconut and essential oils.*
Deodorants and anti-antiperspirants are other products full of potentially harmful chemicals with direct access to your body through your underarms. You can further eliminate chemicals from your body by making your own deodorant.
Here is a simple and quick recipe…
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil (softened)
- ¼ cup baking soda
- ¼ cup arrowroot powder or cornstarch
- 15-20 drops of your favorite essential oils (optional)
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl until combined.
- Pour mixture into a jar/container of your choice (Old deodorant tubes work great!).
- Allow to set and solidify.
- Apply as needed.
Just Scratching the Surface
These are just a few of the simple yet effective uses for coconut oil. We have only begun to touch the surface. Implement these uses in your daily life to begin the push away from chemically engineered beauty products and improve the quality of your life.